RMDBO YOUTH HEIFER PROGRAM
The goal of the Rocky Mountain Dexter Breeders Organization (RMDBO) YOUTH HEIFER PROGRAM is to aid youth in getting started in the Irish Dexter cattle business, while also spreading awareness and promoting the breed. It is also a way to recognize youth who have a true passion for livestock. A member-donated heifer calf will be awarded to applicants based upon merit, future goals, and the ability to care for the animal each year.
Any youth between the ages of nine (9) and sixteen (16) years of age as of January 1 of the current year and residing in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, California or New Mexico may apply. Entries are made in the form of an application and YouTube video.
The RMDBO will own the awarded heifer until successful completion of the program, at which time the participant will receive full ownership of the heifer and her future offspring. Participants will be responsible for raising the heifer, arranging for her to be bred, and successfully completing the program requirements for the two year duration of the program.
The program is completed after the heifer has had her first calf and it is weaned at 5-7 months of age, at which time the calf is donated back into the program.
While participating in the RMDBO Youth Heifer Program, participants will gain knowledge and experience in selection, feeding, breeding, exhibiting, and marketing Irish Dexters. It is the hope of the RMDBO that the participant will build his/her breeding herd to receive financial and educational benefits.
When a heifer is available for the program, RMDBO will announce availability. Applications will remain active for one (1) year from the date application is signed. All applications will be reviewed by an independent selection committee.
Who is eligible to receive a heifer?
- Applicants must be a resident of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, California, or New Mexico.
- Applicants must be between the ages of nine (9) and sixteen (16) years of age as of January 1 of the current year.
- At least 50% of the heifers in the program will be awarded to youth who are non-owners of Irish Dexter cattle.
- Applicants are highly encouraged to be enrolled in either 4-H or FFA, be in good standing and stay enrolled until completion of the RMDBO Youth Heifer Program if awarded a heifer. This is not a strict requirement. However, if such programs are not available locally, youth may apply provided they have a RMDBO member who will serve as a mentor within a one hour drive of the recipient’s home.
- Previous recipients of the RMDBO Youth Heifer Program are ineligible, but unsuccessful applicants may apply as many times as they wish.
Participants will be selected based on their commitment to agriculture, future goals, and ability to feed, raise and care for the animal in a proper setting.
- The program term for each participant is two years.
- Each program participant will be responsible for raising the calf and arranging for her to be bred (AI or naturally) with help from their 4-H/FFA advisor or RMDBO mentor.
- The participant will be required to document their progress via video and photos for their annual report. The annual report will be submitted in the form of a YouTube video. The YouTube video must be submitted within thirty (30) days of their one year and two year anniversaries in the program. A link to the YouTube video will be emailed to the RMDBO Chairman and shared on the RMDBO social media pages.
- If, for some reason, the participant is unable to meet the requirements outlined above in item 3, participant has the option of submitting a written annual report with supporting photos to the committee. However, participant must submit a written explanation and request with their application to waive this requirement and it must be pre-approved by the committee.
- An additional mid-year report may be requested by the committee. This, too, must be in the form of a YouTube video unless the participant has an approved waiver from the committee waiving this requirement.
- Participant will be required to conduct or participate in one (1) major event each year while in the program (showing, major promotion which promotes the Irish Dexter breed, etc.). Each phase of the major event must be documented and supported by video or photos. For example, if the major event is a show, the video/photos should include all steps performed in preparing for the show such as training the animal, grooming the animal and showing the animal. If the participant is awarded a heifer, the participant’s project must focus on the many attributes which make the Irish Dexter unique. We encourage you to have FUN and be CREATIVE when promoting the breed!
- Application: The applicant must submit a complete application signed by all parties listed;
- Essay: The applicant must submit an essay (minimum of one page, maximum of three pages) and must include the following:
- Briefly describe you, your hobbies, family, 4-H/FFA membership and activities, personal goals.
- Why are you applying for a RMDBO heifer?
- Why do you want to own an Irish Dexter heifer?
- What have you done that would demonstrate to the committee that you have an active interest in Irish Dexter cattle?
- How are you learning about this breed?
- Have you ever attended a cattle show? Please list as much as possible to demonstrate your abilities and interest.
- What care do you plan to provide to the heifer if you are selected to receive a heifer (facilities, feed, etc.)?
- What do you hope to learn from this project?
- How do you plan to use the heifer after the end of the program?
- How would receiving a RMDBO heifer fit into your future plans?
- Tell us why you feel you deserve a heifer and what would make you a good recipient.
- Letters of Recommendation: The applicant must provide two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter must be from your 4-H Leader, FFA Advisor or RMDBO Mentor and the other from an adult, not related to you, but knows you well enough to comment on your character, abilities and commitment.
- YouTube Video: Please submit a 3-5 minute YouTube video which includes, but is not limited to the following. For the safety of the applicant, we ask that you omit any video which may include such things as an address, physical location, or other identifying information that would reveal the participant’s physical location. The YouTube video link must be emailed to Weston Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Introduction of the applicant;
- Tour of facilities where heifer would be kept;
- Current 4-H/FFA projects, if applicable;
- Goals and objectives for the RMDBO heifer if selected;
- MUST be voiced by the applicant;
- The remaining time is for the applicant to be CREATIVE and show the committee they are worthy of receiving a heifer.
6. A signed Photo, Video, & Social Media Release form.
RMDBO members are encouraged to download the program rules and application forms for distribution to their local 4-H and FFA programs.
For questions, please contact Weston Berry at (801) 885-0190 or at email@example.com
Mail completed applications to:
Weston Berry, Chairman
RMDBO Youth Heifer Program
3832 Adams Street
Cedar Valley, UT 84013
Email completed applications and YouTube video link to: